Saturday 1 February 2014

Essential Songs For Existence 9: I Believe In A Thing Called Love


I'm starting to run out of things to say about each song. The songs I pick for this playlist I pick because they just have a certain timeless something; they're famous, popular and often anthemic, and I Believe In A Thing Called Love is no different. Again, like all the other songs, it's just one that, when you sing it, you expect everyone else to sing it too. We can't reach those high notes very well, but who really cares? Not me. :)

Despite never actually reaching the dizzy heights of number one in the charts (instead peaking at two), I Believe In A Thing Called Love is undoubtedly The Darkness' most famous song; released from their 2003 album Permission To Land (which sold over a million copies in the UK), it is the most well known song of the four singles taken from the album, which was followed up in 2005 with a second album, One Way Ticket To Hell... And Back. Shortly after, the band split up, but staged reunion shows in 2011, and then continued to release a third album (Hot Cakes) in 2012. According to Wikipedia, they're still together. How nice.

Going back to the song I have chosen for this week's Essential Songs For Existence, I Believe In A Thing Called Love is actually the only song by The Darkness which I have heard, but nevertheless it's a good one. I imagine it would be amazing performed live, as even sitting at home, I can't help but clap along to the chorus as if at a concert. I do not understand how it can't make absolutely everyone want to dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment