Tuesday 8 January 2013

I DON'T WANT ANY MORE C'S!!!

I have a biology exam tomorrow morning. I am terrified. And stuck on C's! The past two tests we've done in lesson, I've got C's, and the two past papers I did today and yesterday, I got C's. In GCSE, my lowest was a B. One single B, in French, three marks off an A. Actually, no, I'm forgetting that speech I did for English, I got a C for that, but I still got an overall A. I hate the idea of me giving speeches. I hated that speech in particular. "How do you think society should be improved?" I DON'T KNOW, YOU'RE ASKING THE GIRL WHO RARELY HAS OPINIONS CAUSE SHE'S SO SLOW TO MAKE UP HER MIND, AND RARELY VOICES THEM WHEN SHE DOES HAVE THEM!!!!!!! See, all the other groups got to make fun speeches. I can't remember what like, but still. I suppose I could write a speech on improving society now, after I've had a year or so to think about it. If I could go back, I'd write it on education. Our education system seems a bit pointless to me. We study to pass exams. HELLO? Anybody see the problem here? How about, that we have life after exams?? That doing well in the exam doesn't mean that you'll be able to actually apply that knowledge? And the mark schemes! Seriously! Marking my biology past papers earlier, I was just... so annoyed. I thought I'd done well in that past paper. Like, at least a B. But you see, I knew I'd got the answers vaguely right. Somewhere in all the drivel I'd written was something akin to the right answer - or at least, the right answer that I'd learnt. But no. They ask you absurd, misleading questions like "The diaphragm helps to bring about the changes shown by the curve A. Explain how." when they could have just put, "How does breathing work?" and I wouldn't have looked at the graph above the question and gone, "Hmm, I wonder what this shows?" when I should have just been writing down everything I could remember about how the diaphragm relaxes and makes the chest cavity smaller and increases the air pressure and decreases the lung volume.

This is why I hate exams. They never, ever ask you straight questions. Ever. And I never, ever know what they want me to put to make them give me the mark. And I don't think you would - some of the answers they want are ridiculous. I swear you'd have had to have not only done ALL the past papers available, but actually MEMORISED the entire of all the mark schemes to know what they want you to put. It's honestly, seriously ridiculous. How on earth will learning a freaking mark scheme, half of which is gibberisch anyway, help me in later life? I want to learn biology! I don't want to learn mark schemes! Biology might one day be helpful to me! A mark scheme will NEVER be helpful to me!!

See, Sir, if I could do that speech again now - with a subject that really gets me angry and that I actually think should be improved in society - or if I'd have thought of this at the time, then I reckon I could've got an A. Or maybe a B. (It should be noted that it may also have helped if I'd been feeling particularly well, and awake, on the day)Though to be honest it wasn't really the English I needed to worry about. It was the French.

Anyway. This wasn't supposed to turn into a rant about exams. It was supposed to be quite a short post, because I have last minute revision in the form of one last past paper to be doing, and I don't want to go to bed particularly late. But I'm going to post again tomorrow and I probably won't mention the exam because I'll probably be sick to my back teeth of talking about it, as it's in the morning and we have to stay in school all day. Actually, I'm not entirely sure about that. But I'm staying in school anyway - one lesson I can catch up on, but four's a bit much. So tomorrow I'll post a short story or something, maybe what I wrote in creative writing yesterday and hopefully I'll be doing that every week after that. :)

And I wish when they tell year 11's that A Level is hard, they tell them that A and A* students get C's. Because I'm only just realising just how hard A Level is.

No comments:

Post a Comment