Friday 25 January 2013

This is still not a good time to be blogging

You guessed it, I have other more important things to be doing right now, although for once not many other things. But I figured I'd still like to say a little more about why I'm blogging, as I've been meaning to for a bit now. There are four main reasons, really.

Firstly, editing. I know from my previous posts that if there is a written form of verbal (and here's a word I hate having to spell) diarrhoea, I have it. But you guys don't want to read seriously long posts with no point to them. So I know now from taking part in NaNoWriMo (mentioned/explained a few posts back) that I can make things really wordy when I want to, to seriously increase my word count; let's see if I can learn to write things in as few words as possible instead. Or at least edit things down to as few words as possible. :)

Secondly, purpose. What's the point in me writing if nobody's going to read what I write? I lost confidence in writing websites such as FictionPress after hearing that some people have had their work plagarised, and there was nothing to prove that the writing was mine. After all, only me and my friends know that Lady Scarlet of Stormhold (my penname on FictionPress) is me; that could be anybody. Of course, just as on this blog, all my writing is mine. I just needed somewhere to post my writing where people can read it after I stopped posting on FictionPress, where I feel more secure that it is obvious whose work it is: mine.

I hope that makes sense.

Also, if nobody reads your work, then you don't have anybody to give you constructive criticism, you have nobody to help you to improve, and that's not going to get you very far. Writing is one of those things where you kind of need feedback, otherwise you have no way of knowing if what you've written is any good or not. And that's a very important point.

Thirdly, confidence. I think sharing my work will help me with my confidence, and yes I do have confidence issues, I have struggled with them probably since I was about eleven. I am considerably better than I used to be, but currently these worries have been changing - ie, before, I worried about not having friends and things, but I have a lot of good friends and have done for a while and am much happier than I used to be; the worries now are about the future (I won't go into it; this is not my journal). If I can feel confident in my writing, then I can feel confident that I always have that to fall back on if any other career plans fall through (although of course, I'd love for my writing to be my first career not my backup plan, but unfortunately life doesn't work like that).

And finally, experience. I remember at the creative writing club at my school a few years ago, a girl in year 13 was telling us how she was trying to get her novel published, and how difficult it is for young writers to get published just because of your age and therefore lack of experience. You don't need qualifications to be a writer, but you do need experience - practice makes perfect, as they say. So if one day this blog helps me get published in some way shape or form, brilliant. :)

I'm sorry for the length of this, I hoped I'd be able to keep this short, but... Oh well. Have a nice evening, everyone! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment