Tuesday 31 December 2013

A Very Writing Christmas



My mum got me these for Christmas, which made me rather happy firstly because they were surprises (the good kind) and secondly because in my head, it's symbolic for my mum giving me permission to write, to allow myself to spend time doing something I enjoy and wish to do as more than a hobby in the future, as opposed to spending all my time attempting to do schoolwork and revision. It feels quite freeing.

I shall talk first about The Creative Writing Workbook by Matthew Branton. So far I have got to page 26 and my verdict is that it is both enjoyable and helpful. It teaches basic writing techniques to improve your writing and includes creative and fun exercises to practice using said techniques. I find it interesting to learn new things about a skill I thought I was pretty good at already like this, as I never sat down and learnt how to write fiction; I just did it, pretty much ever since I learnt how to pick up a pencil and write with it. I have faith in this book, that by taking me back to the beginning, it will genuinely improve my writing. I highly recommend it.

I have not found The Writer's Toolbox by Jamie Cat Callan quite so useful as The Creative Writing Workbook. It is mostly an inspiration-finding tool, supplying new and interesting first lines to start off a piece, "Sixth Sense Cards" to inspire you to write a piece by evoking a sense, and spinners for choosing a protagonist, a goal and an obstacle between the two. Personally, I feel that I do not need inspiration for new ideas, as I have a pantry full of ideas stocked up in my brain that I haven't written yet; for me, finding inspiration and starting a project is not the hard part, it is carrying it on and keeping myself interested in it enough to continue writing. Therefore, this isn't quite for me, as it really does focus on the finding ideas and starting a new project thing, however I plan to take it to my school's creative writing club, and I imagine we'll get plenty of use out of it. The only other thing I would say is that, from the side, it looks deceptively - almost annoyingly - like a box of chocolates.

Anyway, here's hoping that a jolly Christmas was had by all, and that everyone starts off their New Year well! :)




I also got the following things for Christmas...

...as well as tickets to see Within Temptation live in April. (!!!) I am a very happy girl. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment