Saturday 28 December 2013

Essential Songs For Existence 4: Women


We're back to the influence of my dad's taste in music for this choice. This band is, for me, a kind of local band; I was surprised to find out a year or two ago that they were from the nearest city to me, not America, like I'd always assumed. My dad actually said he once saw them walking out of a pub not far from where we live, but didn't realise who it was until afterwards.

Anyway, Women, from Def Leppard's best selling album Hysteria, is what I would personally say is their most famous song, unless it's Rocket or Pour Some Sugar On Me, or Love Bites. Or Animal or Armageddon It or Hysteria. My brother (who is now a bigger Def Leppard fan than my dad) tells me that they released seven singles from Hysteria, however, my personal favourite, Gods Of War, is one of the couple of songs that weren't released. (If you want to know why I like Gods Of War, it's the guitar. I just love the guitar.)

Hysteria is undoubtedly Def Leppard's best album (it sold over 20 million copies - which surely answers the question of why you should really know who they are), but that isn't to say that their other albums aren't good too - my brother tells me that Pyromania almost sold as well as Hysteria did. In fact, my brother has made me listen to some of their other albums, and the more I listen, the more I like what I hear. Apart from the songs I already mentioned, I would recommend Love and Hallucinate from Songs From The Sparkle Lounge, To Be Alive and Disintegrate from Euphoria and Photograph and Too Late For Love from Pyromania. As for any other albums of theirs, I haven't listened to them.

I'm sure my brother will be pleased that I actually listen to what he says sometimes, and have put some of his crazily detailed knowledge to good use. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment