Saturday 14 December 2013

Essential Songs For Existence 2: Summer Of '69


I'm sure that whenever somebody mentions Bryan Adams, everyone - especially those who remember the early '90s (which, of course, I don't, but still) - thinks of Everything I Do (I Do It For You). But I'm going to talk about a different song by Bryan Adams. My mum is a huge fan of Bryan Adams and has been since she was a teenager, and because of her influence, Bryan Adams' songs were the soundtrack to my early teens as well. Between my mum and I we have his entire collection of albums and I have seen him in concert twice. So for me, an Essential Songs For Existence playlist would be void without him.

Summer Of '69 may not have stayed at number one for sixteen weeks when it entered the charts, but it's still one of Mr Adams' most famous hits, and it's an awesome song. My personal favourites are not any of the famous ones, however, no matter how good Heaven, Cuts Like A Knife, etc are. I could list a great many songs here (Mr Adams' career does, of course, span thirty years), but my absolute favourites are: Thought I'd Died And Gone To Heaven from that most famous album Waking Up The Neighbours, Home Again from the previous album Into The Fire, and I Was Only Dreamin', a less known song from Adams' 2004 album Room Service. I could go on: Hearts On Fire, Heat Of The Night, Fearless, On A Day Like Today, Please Forgive Me... but I think I've given you quite enough song recommendations for one day now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment