Thursday 28 November 2013

Time For A Story

Last year, I went to Germany on work experience with my school. Because it was a school trip, we were made to write diaries in German. Here is a small extract from mine (after my teacher corrected it):

Mittwoch, den 28. November (Wednesday the 28th of November)

...Emma hat mir ein schönes Lied mit ihrem MP3-Spieler gespielt und jetzt schreibe ich mein Tagebuch. (...Emma played me a beautiful song on her MP3 player and now I'm writing my diary)

Are you wondering what the beautiful song that my friend Emma played me was? What a shame, because I'm going to tell you anyway. In fact, I'm not, I'm just going to post a video with the song on it, so that, if you haven't heard it before, you can have the same experience as I did a year ago today (except minus the canteen of a German youth hostel, five other students and two German teachers).


On this day last year, I was introduced to the awesomeness that is Nightwish, and thus, in a more indirect manner, I was introduced to a genre - symphonic metal - that I had never heard of before, and yet that I would come to love. So I thought I would write a small tribute to that moment in time: the moment that the awesomeness that is Nightwish first touched my ears. Thank you, Emma, and thank you to whoever started the discussion about music over dinner, although I'm sure you don't remember just as much as me. Also, thank you to Evanescence, for writing a song (Bring Me To Life) that my mum would hear and like, and which would lead her to buying your album, which would eventually lead to me hearing it and deciding that I liked rock music, which would mean that I would be able to appreciate Nightwish when I finally came to hear it. (Also thank you to Evanescence because I still think you're awesome, and also because you led me to discover my other favourite band, Within Temptation, who are also symphonic metal)

If you liked Storytime, then I recommend you listen to Amaranth next - as it was the second Nightwish song I ever heard. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment