Monday 18 November 2013

Tumblr Teenagers

On the few occasions when I'm out and about I do worry about whether old people find me intimidating when I walk past them. Okay, so I'm probably about five foot three (I don't know, I haven't measured myself in years, I just know that I'm small), so I'm probably not that intimidating, but I'm still very aware that some teenagers are intimidating to old people - you know, those kids that hang round smoking or drinking or whatever it is that they do, and just generally being a bit thuggish, a bit scary, a bit gangsta. I feel like, as a goody-little-two-shoes teenager, I have to show people that the future of the human race aren't all terrifying idiots.

But at the same time, there's another bad teenager stereotype, and this time I am one of the ones that fit into this category, I admit. It's that whole computer generation thing: that a whole generation of kids are just spending their lives on the internet and on computer games. And what made me think of this is that just now, my mum came and asked me how I'm doing with my schoolwork, like she normally does, and I was like, it's fine, even though I've actually spending most of my time on YouTube and Facebook - like I normally do. But then she said to me, "Hurry up and finish off, and then you can come downstairs and chill out."

I don't know if anybody reading this is at all like me, but if you are, you'll know that right then all I could think was: do I really have to go downstairs to "chill"? Can I not do that up here, in the glorious isolation of my room, with my laptop and my internet and my Tumblr account and my fangirling and my music and my earphones and my book? Cause I'd much rather do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment